Wednesday, November 29, 2017

Necromunda Underhive Scatter Terrain & Sentry Guns

Recently I picked up a copy of the new Necromunda Underhive boxed set, which I've been waiting almost 20 years for. Though I have some minor misgivings about the main "board game" style (detailed further in my previous post), I really do like the scatter terrain, which embodies the spirit of the old Necromunda bulkheads while updating them with some great new pieces. Most of these pieces are straight out of the box, with the exception of small shrine and four consoles. These come with some nice standard 25mm GW bases, but I really wanted something smaller so they would blend in. As such, I replaced the standard textured bases with some 25mm plastic bases from Warlord Games.

First off are the door barricades, "Sump Monster" marker, Priority marker, and small shrine....


The new loot caskets...


The bulkhead barricades...


And the bulkheads, doors, and consoles. The consoles are, by far, my favorite pieces of this set. They have a variety of buttons and screens that are fun to paint, as well as this odd pneumatic pull handle on one side. They have a very "advanced steampunk" feel that reminds me of something out of Borderlands or Bioshock Infinite.




I also had some Aegis sentry turrets that had been sitting in a box, primed, for several years that I decides to pull out and paint as well. The bases actually do just fit in the squares of the Underhive tiles, so they would make some cool objectives as well.


4 comments:

mafiacheese said...

Nice! I've been trying to figure out how I want to paint the Priority marker, glad to see I'm not the only one who's decided to do that!

mafiacheese said...

Also I'm curious on how you wrote out that grafiti, I need to do some for my terrain.

Ancientsociety said...

@mafiacheese: The graffiti is done with a very fine brush. Do a rough drawing, then refine it with successively lighter highlights. It also helps to add small vertical lines running downward to simulate paint dribbles.

Larger graffiti (esp. on flat surfaces) I draw out with oil pens and sharpie markers. For example, on the walkways I did a few years ago

http://empireofghosts.blogspot.com/2014/02/road-to-adepticon-2014-necromunda.html

Herbert West said...

Beautiful stuff. I've just been painting them tonight as it happens. Going to nick a few of your effects!